Thursday, November 11, 2021

Being a feminist is not about hating men showing their appreciation for women.

'The internet and - to be more precise - social media is a curse: only negative stuff and when you see something nice you feel like you're underachieving because people only share pictures and stories about how wonderful their lives are!'

I'm sorry for all the haters but that simply isn't true. First of all: it depends on your personal filters. If you only want to see bad news, that's all the algorithms will show you. If you only look at pictures of smiling friends, that's all you get to see.

Social media is not much different from real life: when was the last time you ran into an old friend and he or she said:  'I'm in a bit of a pickle, could you loan me a hundred bucks?' in stead of: 'I'm doing great, really. All's fine! You?' 

Did you answer honestly that you're in a terrible divorce, your mother just died and you lost your job six months ago? No. You 'd probably say something like: 'I'm a happy single, won't listen to my mother anymore and decided to stop working for a while to enjoy life while I can.'

It's the same when people have encounters on social media. When someone does post something like 'I hate my life because chemo sucks, I lost my sense of taste, can't enjoy sex anymore. The only thing preventing me from wanting to die is wanting to see my ex die first.' we often don't know how to respond. Just like in real life.

But just like real life the internet too is full of wondrous, hopeful, funny, inspiring, information that puts a smile on our faces.


Wrinkle the Duck enjoyed people (and who knows how many ducks were watching, cheering on one of their kind?) by participating in the marathon of New York.

And how about this family that teaches people through TikTok about the do's and don't when interacting with a deaf child?

And here's one badass young lady you might see at the Olympics one day:
Paige Tobin knows how to handle a board!

~

Strangely enough there are people out there who are apparently só dissapointed in life they can't help themselves and just have to make negative comments:

When I reacted to this clip of Paige (click) stating how cute and badass I find young Paige and noted a young man showing his respect for her and her moves by helping her out of the skating pit, a lady just had to type: 'No, she is nog being helped. How dare you make this about a man again?' Or words in that order.

To me it looks like said responder doesn't know that being a feminist is not about hating men showing their appreciation for women.

The lady clean out stated the young man was not helping his young co-skater. In my humble opionion she was either lying (To make a point? Which point could that be?) or didn't watch the clip until the end but refused to admit that she didn't because she didn't want to be called out as someone who has formed an opinion before looking at the straight facts.

What do you think? Did the young man in this clip (click) help Paige? Did he do so out of respect and camaraderie or to show the world that in his opinion women can't do anything without the help of men?

===============================================================
Want to read (more of) my short stories? My author page: Terrence Weijnschenk at Amazon

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Of course he helped her out of the pit. Just like any skater will do for a fellow skater. This has nothing to do with Paige being a girl, or somehow downplaying her (obvious!) skills.

I'm a feminist, and I think that comment was ridiculous.

Terrebel said...

Agreed. I actually feel sorry for the commenter.