Saturday, March 18, 2023

144 Condoms (a short story)

The salesgirl asked once more: 'Are you sure that that is what you want?' 'Yes', he said, 'but it's not just for me. I will share it with the woman next door.' Other customers halted their conversations to be able to hear his. -'Shall I wrap it up for you?' -'No, that's alright. When I come home later I'm going to open the box immediately anyway. Besides, this way it's environmentally friendlier.'

'Would you like something else to go with this?' -'Well, now that you mention it...' He turned to the shelves behind him, took down two more items and put them on the counter with a smile. 'Ah, you like penguins?' -'Indeed I do.' -'And that other item is for... er...' -'Yes, indeed. That other item is for ...er...', he replied patiently and still smiling.

He paid the required sum, managed to get a quantum discount and walked to the exit. At the door he couldn't help himself as he felt a chuckle coming on. He smiled an extra-friendly smile at the salesgirl and called cheerfully: 'See you next week!'

The salesgirl, her colleague and the other customers looked at each other with open mouths and saw him walking towards the bus stop. Under his arm was a non-wrapped box of 144 condoms.



============================

Want to read (more of) my short stories? My author page: Terrence Weijnschenk at Amazon
A donation (click) is much appreciated:


No comments: