Thursday, February 16, 2023

Why are some people lazy as well as impatient?

Once I started noticing the pattern, I asked around. Only to be confirmed in my suspicion: The most lazy people are also the most impatient.


Most lazy people are afraid. Afraid to be wrong, to be rejected, to fail...here's an article (click) on that. Usually they also lack confidence. In itself that's okay, of course. We all are lazy and/or lack confidence at times. But I think it's a shame when people are troubled by their own behaviour all the time because it keeps them from discovering their potential. So, they need help to change their behaviour. Unfortunately - and perhaps you guessed it - they 'don't have the time' to change or listen to advice. 

Before you think: this guy hates people who are lazy and/or impatient: I don't. As a matter of fact, here's an interesting article (click), explaining that laziness and impatience can actually be good traits. And here's a nice quote I found:

'Whenever we are stressed in life, or stuck at something difficult, we start feeling lazy, tired and sleepy. And then the urge keeps getting stronger and stronger. Why run away? Fulfill the urge, sleeping won't kill you, sleep as much as you can, until your body craves for getting up' (credit: the mother of Anubhav Jain)

======================

Want to read (more of) my short stories? My author page: Terrence Weijnschenk at Amazon
donation (click) is much appreciated:
======================================
An example: Lazy and impatient people seldom change their bedsheets because they 'don't have the time'. Also they don't have time to set up their new phone. They dó have the time to complain - even months after their purchase - that the settings are not to their liking and that they don't have the time to change said settings. When you tell them it's really not that hard, as long as you take a few minutes to read the manual, they get angry: 'Do you really think I have the time for that!? That damn phone should come with my favourite settings, just like I had them on my old phone!'

Don't make the mistake of telling them that these days it's not really difficult to transfer the settings from your old phone to your new one. At least with Android. I don't know how that is for iPhone users. Protip: Only give the impatient person further advice when you like hospital food.

When they use a computer program they have never used before, they panic: 'Where do I get the time to learn all this!?' 'What, for example?', you could ask gently. 'Well, how do I edit a picture in this picture editing software program?' 'Do you see that large button on your screen that says 'edit'?' 'Yes, of course! Do you think I'm blind?!' 'Well...what do you think that button does?' 'How am I supposed to know? I've never worked with this program before. And (sulking and stomping their feet) stop treating my like a little child that doesn't know a thing and you have to explain everything to!' 

(Don't say what you actually want to say at this point! And certainly don't laugh in your friend's face. Big mistake. Really. Don't do it) 'Perhaps if you'd take a bit of time to read the manual or at least take a minute to look at what the different buttons say...' 'Out of my sight! You're not my friend anymore! How dare you think I can find the time to do all those things! You don't know how busy I am!'

'Er...perhaps you could take an hour off the twelve hours you daily spend in bed? Watch a bit less Netflix than six hours a day, re-watching the same series over and over again because you have already seen them all?'

'Out of my sight, I said! I don't have time to listen to your nonsense and now I need a couple of hours doing nothing to recover from all the mean things you said to me!'

'What mean things did I say to you, my friend?' 'I won't repeat them because they hurt me too much. You're just like the lady in the supermarket this afternoon (really lazy people are seldom seen in supermarkets in the morning) who told me I should stop pushing her. But she was holding up the line and made me waste two whole minutes waiting for her groceries to get scanned. The b*tch! So yeah, of course I pushed her. And I am entitled to do so because in the past people hurt me so now I'm allowed to hurt other people.'

'But...'

Have you also noticed that the most lazy people are also the most impatient (and, perhaps surprising, also some of the most intelligent)? Or is it just a coincidence in my network of a couple of hundred people, including a dozen or so lazy as well as impatient people? Interesting thing I also noticed: people who are extremely lazy and impatient, hardly ever have longlasting romantic relationships. Or even work relationships. Why do you think that is? And do you know of any lazy as well as impatient people in your network? Can you consider them to be friends? Perhaps you are a lazy and impatient person and would like to share your experiences? Although I doubt that, because you probably didn't have the time to read more than the title of this blogpiece. 

By the way: if you are (or think that someone is) lazy, be careful jumping to conclusions: the experienced laziness may be a symptom of a depression (click).

 (Written from my hospital bed)
 

No comments: