Wednesday, September 23, 2020

We are being manipulated

'Want to show people that you are a strong independent woman who makes her own choices? Smoke cigarettes!' By appealing to the idea that a strong independent woman doesn't listen to the government or to her husband Edward Bernays persuaded tens of thousands of American women to start smoking.

In stead of  'Buy this product!' he invented advertising that appealed to people's ego: 'Want to feel good? Drive this car!' 'Want to stay slim, buy this milk!', 'Want to separate from everyone else? Buy this service!' And of course people want to feel good, stay slim, want to be different from others. So, marketing was born. Creating a whole new billion dollar industry of people getting paid to deceive and manipulate.

Not only manufacturers and shop-owners use tricks to pursuade people to buy stuff. Politicians use the same tricks to 'sell' their ideas. 'Feel bad because you lost you job? Vote me and I'll get rid of the foreigners who stole your job!' 'Want to get rid of the mess I created? Vote me and I'll clean it up myself!'

Appeal to someone's ego and they stop thinking. Try it: give someone a (well-meant. That helps.) compliment just when they are about to say something and nine out of ten times their 'train of thought' is derailed.

In the Netherlands in the media this is called 'the Bokito-effect'. While the government tried to hide the fact they were secretly storing nucleair missiles (while the vast majority of the population was against those weapons of mass destruction) an ape escaped from a zoo and a huge media offensive was launched evolving around the ape (called 'Bokito'). most likely instigated by high government officials to distract attention from a much larger issue. But everybody talked about Bokito who was frontpage news while information about the nukes got a single paragraph on page 17 (as a matter of speaking) in the papers.

Of course you would never fall for 'mindtricks', making you buy things or services you don't need, right?

Now look around you and ask yourself if all the items you can see are items you really can't live without. But you can't be fooled. Right?
Want to read (more of) my short stories? My author page: Terrence Weijnschenk at Amazon

Would you like to support my work (I have read two whole articles of more than a page long and watched almost half a dozen videos so I could provide you with this information!)?  



Want to read (more of) my short stories? My author page: Terrence Weijnschenk at Amazon

No comments: