Thursday, March 25, 2021

Is it okay to spend resources on things that aren't necesarry?

A lot of resources are used to solve problems that really aren't that urgent. A recent example is the development of a vaccum/grabber to pick up lost earbuds from in between train rails. In Tokyo alone some 300 people a month lose their statement: 'I just want everyone to know I can spend a lot of money on something I'm sure I will lose within a few months after purchase and I want to look cool and not to be laughed at anymore because kids used to tease me in grade school.'

If you look around you in the room you are in now, how many items can you see that you don't really need? The cost and time of development and the production of, let's say, the Rubik's Cube, could have been spent on helping an orphanage in Mozambique with sanatation. And still have money left to satisfy Elon Musk's ego for an entire day.

Trillions of dollars have been and are spent on vehicles of war and bombs that will - hopefully - never be dropped, I have more books in my book case than I could ever hope to read and you probably have clothing items you won't wear but once bought because 'it was on sale' or 'looked so pretty'.

I don't really know where I'm going with this but what I think I'm trying to say is: perhaps we should start thinking about what's really important and start focussing our resources (money, time, skills, thoughts) on that.

What are your thoughts on this?

========================

Want to read (more of) my short stories? My author page: Terrence Weijnschenk at Amazon

No comments: