Saturday, July 09, 2022

Life in the Big City (a poem)

Soothing Arabic music
seeps through the bedroom walls.
Children outside chatter away in Turkish
and a couple across the street
argues in Polish.

My Hungarian neighbour
treated me to her lovely smile yesterday
and my late Chinese neighbour
poured some excellent tea.

We didn't understand eachother
but knew what was said.
And not said.
Making us both feel unsad.
If even for a little while.


A Kenyan, a Malinese and an Algerian friend 
helped me with a better understanding of French
and I have a nice friendship
with a neighbour
who is from Indonesia.

So yes,
I love life in the big city

==================

Want to read (more of) my short stories? My author page: Terrence Weijnschenk at Amazon
I just lost my part time job and am not making ends meet via entertainment because of covid, so a donation (click) is much appreciated:


No comments: