Saturday, June 05, 2021

Boyfriend (a short story)

'I'm late', she told him over the phone. 'Oops!', he thought, in a slight panic. 


He found himself back in caring-mode: 'Should it ever come to that, I should like you to keep the child and I'd do my best to be a good father. But whichever decision you make, I'll back...' 'That's all very well,' she interrupted him brusquely, 'but how do I tell my girlfriend?'

'Oops!' he thought, in a slight panic, for the second time that night. He didn't have a clue what else to say and he told her so. Soon after, she broke off the conversation, clearly disappointed, leaving him with a multitude of questions.

The last time he heard about her, he learnt that she was a man now and he shivered at the thought there might be a man somewhere in this country who could be the mother of one of his children...

The day after said phone conversation he resolved to ask any lady with whom he was about to take the mutual affection to the level of a somewhat sweaty physical activity, whether she did or did not have a partner. Where before the question sufficed: 'Do you have a boyfriend?' 


=================================================================
Want to read (more of) my short stories? My author page: Terrence Weijnschenk at Amazon

No comments: