Thursday, July 01, 2021

What lies do you believe to be true?

We lie constantly. Yes, you too. We lie to our children about Santa, the Tooth Fairy, grandmother's death, et cetera. We even tell them that they will be succesful if they do their best in school! Even though we know (*COUGH* Trump *COUGH*) some of the richest and most succesful people are simply rich or succesful because their parents were:

We not only lie to our children but also to our partners ('No darling, you don't have a big behind') and bosses ('I'm sure I can do it, boss!'), friends ('You'll be over her in a few weeks. Just you wait and see.'), to complete strangers on the street and on social media and even to ourselves! I'm sure you told yourself things like: 'Just one more cigarette and then I'll really quit' or 'I'll start my diet right after my coming birthday party'.

Let's face it: lying is a part of everyday life. Most of us even believe almost anything 'Hollywood' tells us! Remember the president who believed dropping a nuclear bomb on a hurricane would make it disperse? He came up with that idea 'himself' after he saw an old Science Fiction movie in which that happened. Perhaps you even believe you can pull the pin out of a hand grenade with your teeth or other war 'facts'. Here's a list of such lies.
 
Once you believe something it's really hard to start believing you've been lied to and thus have been lying to others. That's okay. It happens to all of us. Really. Although lying starts before we go to school, school is a major source of lies.

Which is your favourite lie you'd wish to be true?


Want to read (more of) my short stories? My author page: Terrence Weijnschenk at Amazon

No comments: