Friday, September 10, 2021

Do you have a minute?

When people ask me 'Do you have a minute?'
and I answer them 'No' they see that as encouragement
to interrupt my work or train of thought. 
They don't acknowledge my denial as an answer to their question. 
Let alone that they leave or hang up the phone.

Why is that?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who encounters this form of rudeness.

Of course I asked people why they ask me their questions or tell me about their problems or challenges anyway but never received an actual reply. Usually they get angry or mumble an uninspired fake apology.

Some are simply rude but most are extremely bored. I understand that (well, I don't because there is always something to do. If not for yourself, there's always a family member or a neighbour that could use some help and there are millions of unread books) but why do they assume I am bored too?


Some mistake my 'no' for not being interested in them as a person or their story. To be totally honest, I really am not interested in their complaint that the neighbour refuses to teach his cat not to shit in their garden or their favourite Netflix-series has been canceled. 

When I have the time I am usually willing to listen but strangely enough people aren't always happy with my remark: 'If that's the biggest problem in your life, you're one very lucky human being.'

============================================

Want to read (more of) my short stories? My author page: Terrence Weijnschenk at Amazon

No comments: